Recent Posts
Archive

HCA Meeting 10/5/17

Huntington Community Association Meeting

October 5, 2017

AGENDA

1. Welcome and Introductions:

  • Art Ovalle, President

  • Jeff Woodward, Vice President

  • Harry Shepler, Treasurer

  • Everett Price, Secretary

2. Guest Speaker:

  • Sara Mariska, Walsh Colucci Lubeley & Walsh PC, NorthPoint Development – Huntington Crossing

  • This presentation reviewed the new plans for the property north of Midtown, south of Cameron Run, and east of the Parker, which was previously pursued by Lennar Development; in recent months, Lennar decided not to further pursue the property

  • The property is 6.32 acres, C3 office development zoning

  • Walsh Colucci et al have not filed with the county, but looking to file in the next couple weeks

  • NorthPoint Development would feature 103 units, all for-sale units, 77 multi-famly units, rest of spaces are “two over two” style; 1.6 parking spaces/unit ratio for “two over two” units; 1.4 space/unit ratio for multi-family units, this represents a reduction request, but comparable and higher than surrounding properties like Parker

  • Lower in height than previous proposal

  • No encroachment on eastern side

  • Orients properties toward Cameron Run and would continue trail along Cameron Run

  • Community members asked about the following issues:

  • No plan for thin grass strip between Midtown Huntington Station that belongs to the property; Residents expressed interest in a dog park; developer said there are lots of health code regulations, so not an attractive option but can be considered

  • Residents asked about possible improvements that require pedestrians to cross at designated crosswalks, such as adding crossing on East and West side of Fenwick

  • Construction costs are too high to do higher-rise building

  • Too early to discuss prices for units

  • 1800-2100 sq ft “two over two” units

  • Affordable housing ordinance does not require affordable housing for this property; policy recommendation suggests 12% at affordable or workforce level; units that are affordable for people at 80, 100, or 120% of area median income is considered workforce housing

  • Property would hook up with existing storm water vault under thin grass strip, will also dovetail with levee

  • Doesn’t touch flood plain or RPA

  • No green roof; cool, white-colored roof like Parker

  • Developer will be back for Nov 2nd meeting

  • Need to file brand new application

  • County takes a month to review for first time

3. HCA Committee Reports:

  • Mount Vernon Council of Community Associations (MVCCA)

  • General Council Meeting – Art Ovalle

  • Fire at recycling plant toward Ft Belvoir, trying to recoup money that firefighters spent fighting the fire for days

  • Voted at general council meeting

  • Heated discussion about Embark sound barrier walls, Storck was there

  • Abandoned Sunoco on Rt 1 & Huntington; Storck says there’s nothing more that he can do, Sunoco is too big of a company; somebody bought it but backed out again

  • We should do a petition and write a letter to Washington Post

  • Property is now fully code compliant

  • Planning and Zoning - Ray Novitske

  • Not present

  • Transportation - Jeff Woodward

  • September meeting, presentation on Embark, bus rapid transit along Rt. 1

  • Actual Embark construction start is projected for 2023; have $44 m, and total is $214m

  • They have enough to go through design phase, trying to get state and federal money

  • President Trump is threatening cuts to federal pot of money that the project wants; they seemed optimistic that they could still secure their funds

  • Next community meeting on Embark will be Monday, Nov 6th at 6:30pm at Mt Vernon High School

  • Hot button issue was proposed construction of sound barriers along portions of Rt 1, per regulations

  • Environment and Recreation - Alan Ruof

  • Approval given to spend money on complete restoration of Dyke marsh, rare freshwater tidal marsh that would disappear if not for this intervention

  • The next levee update community meeting will be Wednesday, November 1, at 6:30 PM at the Huntington Community Center. Click here for regular updates on the Levee Project.

  • Notes from the 9/28/2017 call with Michael Dreher of Fairfax County regarding the levee project:

  • The contractor has been using extra crews to reduce the risk of falling behind.

  • The small pump station’s walls have been built and backfilled so they now can begin the building. Once completed, they can use it as a temporary pump station and connect storm sewers to it and remove existing pipes and begin building the levee embankment.

  • The large pump station is far more complex and is not as far along.

  • They are relocating sanitary sewers by the Riverside apartment complex and will begin by the end of October. Also, they are working with Cox to move the fiber optic line in that area and probably will need a temporary easement to do that.

  • The tall pipes sticking out of the ground are toe drain cleanouts. They will be cut to a lower height later in the process. They are installed up to about 100 feet short of the west end of the levee, and also east from pump station. More or less, these show the footprint of the dry side of the levee. The I-wall will be on the Cameron Run side of the levee.

  • They have been doing some concrete work on Saturdays.

  • Street cleaning—there were some stones accumulating in the gutters on Metroview Parkway. They’ve worked with the Parker to post no parking signs (Tuesday 9:00 – 11:00 AM) and will clean the street every other Tuesday.

  • Health and Human Services - Vacant

  • Education - Caitlin Wilson

  • Looking for candidates to lead education committee

  • Focus on impact of Embark on school districts

  • Mt Vernon schools already at capacity so more development means more strains

  • Might require redistricting to improve balance

  • Discussion of construction of super streets with “Michigan turns” that buses might not be able to negotiate—costco and further south would be location of super streets and sound barriers

  • County against sound barriers and super street but is being controlled by VDOT

  • Need people to go out to upcoming meeting to make voice heard

  • Budget and Finance – Christoph Schmid

  • No meeting yesterday, next meeting in Nov will outline budget process

  • Neighborhood Watch – David Sears

  • It’s been relatively quiet around the neighborhood

  • Always looking for volunteers

  • Nick Lombardo volunteered to be new Watch coordinator

  • Asked Officer Urps about ways to address the walkthrough from Huntington Ave to Farrington Ave next to strip mall

4. New Business/Action Items/Updates:

  • Call for Nominations: 2018 HCA Officers Positions (President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary)

  • President: Art nominated

  • Vice President: no nomination

  • Treasurer: Caitlin Wilson nominated

  • Secretary: Everett Price nominated

  • Review/Discuss Updated HCA Bylaws – Vote/Discuss at November 2nd Meeting

  • Click here to see proposed revisions to bylaws

  • Two new changes to vote on

  • Changing membership period from calendar year to 12 month term that begins when member pays dues, Treasurer tracks it